After five years working in London, I decided it was time to move back to Los Angeles, but not before taking a year off to see the world. I gave up my great job with Lehman Brothers in Administration and a fantastic flat (and roommate) I’d lived in for over three years, packed up all my belongings into some 60 cubic feet of boxes and said farewell to the wonderful friends I made in London. Before setting off for Asia, I spent seven weeks in the States including a weekend getaway in Chicago with my best friends from high school, corrective eye surgery in Philadelphia, Aud and Rob’s wedding in Bermuda, 13 days in Israel on Birthright (with a side trip to Petra) and time in quiet Oak Park with my parents and sister. Then, on July 18, 2010 at 1am, with only 13 kilograms in my 50L backpack and a small shoulder bag, I boarded a flight to Singapore. The goal of my adventure is not one of self-discovery or mending a broken heart but a journey of true desire to explore the world, experience new cultures, taste various cuisines, explore beautiful wildernesses, meet local people, and maybe learn some Spanish along the way. What lies below are my stories (or more of a daily recount of events) from the road.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Long day back to Cusco

Friday, April 29, 2011

Spent the entire day on the bus from La Paz to Cusco.  Pancake breakfast at 7:30.  Walk to bus station and check-in for ride.  Met a nice young guy, Andrew, from Chicago.  Leave just after 8:30am.  So lucky nobody sitting next to me.  Border crossing at 10:45am Bolivia time (9:45am Peru) at Desaguadero.  Stamped out of Bolivia.  Stroll across the bridge into Peru.  Get hit in the back of the legs by a bike-driver as I’m trying to take a picture.  Clear control in Peru, find a bathroom (disgusting), and look for bus.  Insane number of three-wheel vehicles.  Tons of traffic.  Have to wait for the bus to weave its way through the traffic.  Back on the bus. 


Stop in Puno to let some passengers off before continuing to Cusco.  Feels like a long 12-hour ride.  Watch new Glee and Ratatouille.  Listen to lots of podcasts.  Finally arrive in Cusco around 7pm.  Share taxi with Andrew to my family house to pick up my bag then continue into town.  Check in to my hostel Eco Packers (across the street from the hotel I’ll stay at with my parents).  Drop off my stuff and head to Jack’s for dinner.  Wait in line and talk to a Canadian couple who don’t want to share a table with me.  Sit at my own table and two American girls (from Seattle and Dallas) join me.  Great conversation.  The couple invites me for a drink, but I head back to the hostel exhausted.  Early morning tomorrow to get my parents at the airport.  Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

World Travels Map